Take My Advice: Wisdom from a Senior (as in graduating this year!)

As the sun began tA young meo peak through the window of my room at 5:30 am breaking through the night’s previous invasion, I couldn’t help but think to myself “How do people in this state survive during the summer when they are awakened at such an early time?” Before I could even get overly grouchy, a surge of excitement filled my body. This was it! This was the beginning of a new start. This was the start of my adulthood. I was no longer in my childhood home, I was in college.

At first, of course, it’s a little intimidating but I knew my parents had done everything they could and more throughout my childhood to prepare me for this very moment. Going off to college is an incredibly rewarding and fulfilling experience and now as a senior, as I look back to 2012 when I started my very challenging and rewarding journey in obtaining my bachelors degree in Aeronautical Science, I realize that there is honestly no more exciting year as Freshman year.

To this day my best and most profound memories are from when I first started my journey here at Embry-Riddle – seeing new faces, experiencing a new state, experiencing a new culture. It was all incredibly exciting.

Ok, so the first day isn’t only exciting, there are moments where things are a little scary but I’d argue that actually helps the college experience. It challenges you to get out of your comfort zone and really be who you’ve always wanted to be. This is a new start; this is a new chance for you to get it right. High school is over; you never have to worry about working on assignments that you feel are pointless, well only your humanities class work, but you’ll soon realize that those classes are an easy GPA booster (so don’t blow them off).

ExSedona!plore everything that Prescott has to offer.
Don’t be afraid to jump in your car and just spontaneously drive to every corner of this impeccable state. Arizona has an incredible landscape. You can drive 50 minutes north and feel as if you just entered a Christmas wonderland with all of the pine trees surrounding every corner of the city of Flagstaff. Then you can drive 60 miles south and really experience what it’s like living in a true inferno (Phoenix) which will lead you to jumping in a tube and floating down the famous Salt River. This is just the beginning. You have so much to accomplish here!

Introduce yourself to Friends.people you see around campus. We really are a family oriented campus. You will soon realize this once the fall semester comes to a close and you’re back at home thinking life is so boring without your ERAU “crew”. The people you meet at this school will truly become your extended family and will be the people who help you build memories that you will carry with you for the rest of your life.
The friends I have made at this school continue to remind me that I made the best decision in choosing Embry-Riddle as my place of study.

This entry was posted in 2015 - 2016 and tagged , , , , , by Jeffery. Bookmark the permalink.

About Jeffery

**Major:** Aeronautical Science, fixed-wing **Hometown:** Destrehan, LA (New Orleans) **Competitions/Awards:** Golden Eagles scholarship and Walmart scholarship **Activities:** Pi Kappa Phi fraternity, member of NGPA, Women in Aviation, President of the Blind Ambition Group **Favorite Class:** Microeconomics **Favorite thing to do in Prescott:** Being from New Orleans I am a huge fan of food and Prescott has some really great and diverse options. I love trying different places around town with my friends . **In my free time I…** love traveling to different places around the state of Arizona, making memories and hanging out with my friends, and being spontaneous.