Making Memories and the New Year

It’s a new year and a new semester! Time to make New Year’s resolutions (let’s be honest, they’ll last about two months), go to brand new classes, and start the year off on a good note! Last year ended on a great note. My semester ended great, and I did really well in all of my classes. It was nice to finally be able to breathe after I had taken all of my tests! After finals were over, my family and I were able to go to Disneyland for a couple of days! It was sooo much fun. AND there were a lot of Chinese people there the same time that we were, so I was able to practice listening to the Chinese language while in line for rides (which were super long, since there were so many people there!). I am stunned both by how much I do know how to translate, AND by how much I don’t know how to translate! The Chinese language is so complex, but at the same time it was a blast being able to practice!

The icicle lights were so beautiful on the castle!

The Haunted Mansion! Actually, while waiting in line to go on this ride, we stood next to a tourist group full of people from China and their interpreter. I paid close attention to the conversations going on and was surprised by how much I understood! COOL!

It’s my second to last spring semester, so my goals this year are to keep going strong in school and in volleyball. It’s been a busy year so far (okay, the year’s only consisted of a couple of weeks, but still). I’m still in the GSIS program, so I’m taking eighteen credit hours this semester, including Intelligence and Technology, Chinese IV, Social Psychology, Microeconomics, a math class, and International Relations. So far they’ve all been really great and I’m excited to see how they turn out! My professors are all awesome and it’s fun to see how much enthusiasm each professor has for their subject.

Volleyball is still going strong. Spring Season starts in a couple of weeks so I’m still trying to live up to my New Year’s resolution to stay in shape. We lost two of our seniors, Laura DeGeorge and Sarah Galeai, but hopefully we’ll still have a good team this next season. It’s so strange… this fall season, I’ll be a senior! These past few years have just FLOWN by. Seriously, I have no idea where they went. Everything is just going by so fast, and I’m just trying to keep up while wondering where the heck all this time has gone. I guess life is kind of like that no matter where you are. But here at ERAU, it seems like everything just goes at the speed of light! And… I’m loving every minute of it!

I hope everyone has a Happy New Year, and may all your New Year’s resolutions come true!

“Begin today. Declare out loud to the universe that you are willing to let go of struggle and eager to learn through joy.”

-Sarah Ban Breathnach