/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
Its time for an update on my CATIA project!! It is nearly half way through the semester and our midway presentations are due this week, so I thought I’d let Y’all know how everything has been going.
So our assignment was to create a mars rover in the CATIA design program, this rover had to meet certain dimensional and weight constraints, and be able to collect samples from the surface of mars. All of these constraints were met through the use of the design process, at this point we have only completed the first three steps which are problem identification, ideation, and refinement.
The problems we found that our rover would encounter and have to be prepared for were damage on landing, dust interference with the solar panels, and small rocks getting caught in our drive system. To counter these problems we designed a stronger launch vehicle for the rover, provided a pneumatic operating system as a backup to the solar panels, and designed our drive system as shown below.
The wheels were actually my design, as the rover was divided into sub assemblies for each team member to complete. The spokes of the wheels will allow for rocks to work their way out of the system without causing any damage or impeding movement. Each wheel will also have its own motor so that all wheels have full rotation and power in order to complete our rover’s mission.
So that’s a small overview of what our team has been working on, if you want to know more please comment and I’ll share some fun facts about CATIA and rover design 🙂