Snow Days!!!!!!!!

The road outside my apartment last Thursday.  Maybe a few brave souls with snow and ice experience didn't mind braving the weather, but I, a native Texan decided to play it safe and chill out at home.

The road outside my apartment last Thursday. Maybe a few brave souls with snow and ice experience didn't mind braving the weather, but I, a born and bred Texan, decided to play it safe and chill out at home.

Back in Houston it never snowed, and I can't describe how magical it was to wake up to 3 inches of snow on the ground.  It was actually the first time in my life that I had woken up to that much snow.

Back in Houston it never snowed, and I can't describe how magical it was to wake up to 3 inches of snow on the ground. It was actually the first time in my life that I had woken up to that much snow.

With that much snow on my back deck I decided to build a snow man.  This Monday when I went back to class, my Psychology professor asked who had built a snow man during our days off.  When I and a few others raised our hands she declared, "Look around everyone, these are the fun people."

With that much snow on my back deck I decided to build a snow man. This Monday when I went back to class, my Psychology professor asked who had built a snow man during our days off. When I and a few others raised our hands she declared, "Look around everyone, these are the fun people."

Snowman again.  Notice the NASA hat and Aviators - only a Riddle student would build a snowman like that.

Snowman again. Notice the NASA hat and Aviators - only a Riddle student would build a snowman like that.

And there is me in next to the snowman to prove that I was there.

My account of the Snow Days as documented  last Friday (my internet has been acting up, but all has been resolved):

In the past two days it has snow more in Prescott than it has in any other semester that I have attended Embry-Riddle. As a result today is the second day in a row that the campus has been closed for inclement winter weather.

If you know anything about weather forecasters, you may, like me, tend to take all of their predictions with a grain of salt. Since my time at Embry-Riddle, weather forecasters have predicted snowfalls in excess of 4-6 inches several times. My excited anticipation of a snow day was tangible on these occasions, only to be destroyed as throughout the night , the forecast changed to predict less and less snow until I awoke to a light dusting and a full day of classes.

Needless to say when the forecast predicted snow for the latter part of this week, I wasn’t going to fall for another weatherman crying wolf. No way! I went to bed unconvinced and prepared to go to my 7:45 a.m. class on Thursday morning.

When my alarm went off, it wasn’t the only beep my smart phone made. I had just received an email from the Executive Vice President Frank Ayers that the classes were canceled until 10:35 and that an update would be issued around 8:00 a.m. I was shocked. I jumped out of bed and ran to my deck to find 3 inches of snow.

So I asked myself, what would any self-respecting college student do now that they didn’t have class? Go back to sleep of course!

What did the update say? Due to extensive snow fall and dangerous driving conditions all classes would be canceled for Thursday, January 21, 2010. So I decided to build a snowman.

I used a spatula and spoon from my kitchen for the arms, my NASA baseball cap for a hat, the lid to a small pan for a smile, and my aviator sunglasses for the eyes. I named him Al, a facetious ode to Al Gore and the conviction with which he pushes his “Global Warming” beliefs.

Then I did something I never do. I spent the day watching movies. And it was wonderful.

Faced with a second day free of responsibility, I don’t know to do. Today is going to be a day of indulging hobbies.