The Adventure in the Saturn Wagon

Whelp, this semester truly is a roller coaster! It’s been so much fun but so stressful at the same time. Midterms are coming up this next week, and I am so nervous! I have so much schoolwork and volleyball stuff to do, and on top of it all, my good old car that I’ve had since I got my license decided to go crazy on me! I have called the whole overall experience “The Adventure in the Saturn Wagon,” (partly because it reminds me of Indiana Jones and partly because it has a nice ring to it). :] I was driving down I-17 on my way to Pinetop, and right otuside of Flagstaff, my car emits a loud BANG and smoke comes out the back end. I, of course, pull over to the side of the road. Prescott was an hour behind me, so I couldn’t call my roommate to come pick me up. I was thirty miles outside of Flagstaff, and I didn’t know what to do. Luckily my grandparents were going to Pinetop that weekend from the valley anyway, so they were able to make a detour (that took about 7 hours!) through Flagstaff to rescue me. I LOVE my grandparents! They are sooooo nice to me! I LOVE YOU, GRANDMA MARILYN AND GRANDPA JOE!! Almost equally as lucky was the fact that I was on the phone with my grandpa about fifteen minutes after I stopped, and a tow truck pulled behind me and asked if I needed a tow! What should have been a three hour wait turned into a trip right into Flagstaff, where I hung out with my grandpa’s brother Tony, his wife Wista, and their huge boxer, Samson. I say that the experience definitely qualifies for an adventure! Although my poor car is still dead, at least my grandma let me borrow hers! Thanks Grandma!

Flashback moment: here’s a picture from my first trip to Prescott for college in my trusty station wagon, almost three years ago! I sure hope my car can be fixed… a lot of great memories go along with that car! We bonded over the years! (Okay, kinda corny, but I grew attached okay?)

And if I can’t get it fixed, then I guess I’ll move on and start a whole new (car) chapter of my life! I guess we’ll just have to wait and see, but for now, I’m glad that I was lucky and safe and things turned out the way they did! Like my former coach and great friend Tom Cannon said (after I recounted to him the tale of my poor car), “Bad luck isn’t so bad when it’s followed by lots of good luck!” True statement! And now I’m back at Embry-Riddle safe, with a temporary car, and I’m able to focus on school and volleyball and have a grand old time doing what I love! Let the adventures continue…

“An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.”

-Gilbert K. Chesterton