Daytona Visit

Last week I had the pleasure of traveling to Orlando, FL for the annual Women in Aviation International conference held at Disney World. I had the chance to meet many companies and pilot recruiters. Also, the conference hosted several seminars on different topics in aviation such as how to balance pilot life with family life, need to know information about aviation medicals, and corporate aviation information.

Deborah Hersman from the NTSB gave an amazing speech at the WAI Conference in Orlando.

After the conference ended last weekend, a friend of mine from my hometown in California (who attends ERAU Daytona), picked me up and is allowing me to stay this week with him in Daytona. Since I was already here and it is spring break for the Prescott campus, I figured I would take the week to check out our sister campus and enjoy the Florida weather. It is really cooling staying in the guest room of his house, being that it is located at a small private airport called Spruce Creek, just 20 minutes away from ERAU’s campus in Daytona. This place is unique being that the streets are all taxiways, garages are hangers, and it is more common to see planes than cars. Talk about a cool place to live as a pilot!

A common sight around Spruce Creek! A house with a plane in the garage.

Since arriving here, I have to say that I am impressed with their campus here. Having the campus on the airport means no waiting for shuttles, and everything is all in one place. However, I do see how the Prescott campus is so much more of a personal place and really makes you feel at home. The facilities here are much more built up and give you a modern and corporate feel to the campus. Although I am bias and will always prefer Prescott, I do like it here in Daytona, and wouldn’t mind coming back. The weather is nice, the ocean is close, and the area is much more urban than my desert home. I have gotten a lot of attention here with people asking me about how I like flying out in the desert and I must say I think that we have it pretty good in Arizona. The experience we take from flying at high altitude is one that I think is only beneficial.

I observed a flight in a DA-42.

I observed a flight in a DA-42.

The ERAU Flight Line in Daytona

The ERAU Flight Line in Daytona

The line of resorts and the beach in Daytona