Easter Weekend

This past weekend, and many of you know, was Easter weekend for many religions.  That being so, my family was very glad to have me home to stick to the traditions we have had for this holiday for many years.  Sunday was the only day that I had family traditions to fulfill, so Saturday was left wide open.  After a looooong drive home on Friday night, I didn’t wake up until about noon on Saturday.  Right about that time, my lifelong friend gave me a phone call and asked what I was up to.  I ended up spending the rest of the afternoon with my three childhood friends.  That night I was still tired from the drive, so I just hung out until about 11 p.m. then passed out as soon as I got home.

The next morning, my family and I went to church with my family at 11 a.m., which was still way too early in the morning for me.  The service had a lot of singing and rejoicing, the perfect day for songs of that nature.  After the service was over, my sister and I went home for about 20 minutes before we had to meet up with our family and other relatives for Easter brunch.  We went to a fish restaraunt called the Market Broiler.

Sadly, I have never been a big fan of fish, but I decided to be daring and test out some new things.  I tried fried calamari, Thresher shark steak, and Mahi-Mahi.  The weirdest thing was, I enjoyed all of them! 

After we all had finished eating, we went over to my grandmother’s house to have some desert that one of my aunt’s had made.  On the drive over, my sister and I were stopped at a red light.  While sitting there waiting for our turn, we both felt the car start to rock back and forth.  Neither of us thought anything of it until it didn’t stop after about 5 seconds.  I rolled down my window and the guy in the car next to us yelled to me “It’s an earthquake man!”  When we arrived at out grandmother’s house a few minutes later, we turned on the news and saw that there had indeed been an earthquake in Mexicali, a city that was 19 miles southeast of Calexico, California which is a city right on the border to Mexico.  After watching the news for the rest of the afternoon, the final story was that the quake was a magnitude 7.2, which is enormous, and the quake lasted for nearly 3 minutes.  There were also at least two noticeably large aftershocks that came along with it.

The big yellow square in the middle is the one felt all across Southern California and even in Phoenix.

After the excitement and shock of the quake had died down a bit, my family proceeded to have an Easter egg hunt!  Both of my little cousins got the majority of the eggs (fast little buggers) and in the end, I had gathered enough candy to satisfy my quota for the day.


Finally, around 7 p.m. we headed home and I started getting my things ready for the next morning, since I would be driving back to Embry-Riddle.  After falling asleep later than planned and barely waking up in time to leave before traffic began to pile up, I made my escape from SoCal and so ended my wonderful weekend back home over Easter weekend!

Comments are closed.